Re: What happened to "use control-alt-backspace to terminate X server?"

On Mon 10 Mar 2014 at 10:03:54 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2014, at 6:10 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun 09 Mar 2014 at 17:59:20 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> Here is what I get:

> > You have edited the output this command gave. In ganeral this is not
> > wise.
>
> Nope.  I didn't edit the output.  That's *exactly* the output I saw,
> verbatim, from a PowerPC Mac running Jessie.  I was logged in via ssh
> to the machine from another in the same room.  I copy-and-pasted from
> the ssh window to the mail window.  No editing occurred.

i386 over ssh gives other information, such as the MD5sum, SHA1 etc.

> And this

> is *exactly* the output i saw on the same machine a few seconds later.
> I was expecting to see questions about keyboard configuration,
> including one about ctrl-alt-backspace, but they did not appear.  Once
> again: No editing occurred except for copy-and-past.
>
> Let me repeat that: *None* of the questions I normally expect to see
> from this command appeared.

You did say this initially. It's not a matter of doubting your
experience but it's as well to check, especially when at least two
people don't see any problems with the same program. Having provided the
extra information on your setup I'm afraid I'm at a loss for a
suggestion or two, apart from observing it may be particular to your
architecture.