Re: Not able to get mpd/ncmpcpp to work

On Du, 09 mar 14, 17:11:14, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have installed mpd and ncmpcpp.
>
> In the /etc/mpd.conf these are the changes that I have made
>
> music_directory     "/home/neo1691/Music/"
> user                "mpd"
> #group            "nogroup"  (This was commented out by default)
>

> That's it nothing else!
>
> Whenever I start my laptop, the service mpd is already started
> mpd       3304  0.0  0.0 411928   820 ?        Ssl  13:04   0:00
> /usr/bin/mpd /etc/mpd.conf
>
> When I start ncmpcpp, pressing u does not update the list, and my
> playlist always remains blank.

When I press 'u' in ncmpcpp it says (at the bottom)

    Database update started!

and at the top bottom, right below Volume % you should see a capital 'U'
in square brackets, possibly with other letters as well (I also have 'r'
for repeat mode).

Does this happen for you?

> This is what I have tried so far:
>
> 1) I tried to change the permissions of one or two music files inside
> /home/neo1691/Music and granted read permissions to everyone.
>
> Result: ncmpcpp is still plain blank.

Make sure also the directory is accessible by user 'mpd'. Also, to see
the music you have to go to the "Browse screen" (F4), by defaults it
starts in the Playlist screen (which is blank if you don't specifically
add songs to it).

> 2) I also tried changing the music_directory to its default value,
> ie(/var/lib/mpd/music), copied some music there and then started ncmpcpp.
>
> Result: Nothing again.
>
> 3) I tried changing the user option in ncmpcpp to neo1691, then the
> service mpd would never start.

I don't understand this, changing the user in ncmpcpp shouldn't affect
the start of mpd, but anyway, you can set log_level to "verbose" in
/etc/mpd.conf and watch /var/log/mpd/mpd.log for errors.

You might also install mpc and use that to troubleshoot, it's much
easier to copy-paste it's output here ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei