Not able to get mpd/ncmpcpp to work

Hello list,

I have installed mpd and ncmpcpp.

In the /etc/mpd.conf these are the changes that I have made

music_directory     "/home/neo1691/Music/"
user                "mpd"
#group            "nogroup"  (This was commented out by default)

That's it nothing else!

Whenever I start my laptop, the service mpd is already started
mpd       3304  0.0  0.0 411928   820 ?        Ssl  13:04   0:00
/usr/bin/mpd /etc/mpd.conf

When I start ncmpcpp, pressing u does not update the list, and my
playlist always remains blank.

This is what I have tried so far:

1) I tried to change the permissions of one or two music files inside
/home/neo1691/Music and granted read permissions to everyone.

Result: ncmpcpp is still plain blank.

2) I also tried changing the music_directory to its default value,
ie(/var/lib/mpd/music), copied some music there and then started ncmpcpp.

Result: Nothing again.

3) I tried changing the user option in ncmpcpp to neo1691, then the
service mpd would never start.

Please help! Thanks!
--
Regards,