Re: Wifi

On 3/9/2014 5:09 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Nope, pretty much everyone was stabbing in the dark due to lack of
> information. Now, there's a good chance one of these "stabs" actually
> hits the target (my money is on firmware), but pretty much everyone

RTL non-free firmware was the first thing that popped into my head as
well, or possibly the NIC wasn't detected during install thus no module
Subsequent research showed that Toshiba model could have any of 3 NIC
models, Atheros, Intel, or Realtek.  The Intel NICs AFAIK are all free
firmware, so if he has the Intel NIC it shouldn't be a firmware load
issue.  I dunno the non/free status of the Atheros firmware, too lazy to
look it up ATM.

> assumed the OP is able to identify the correct firmware package and
> install it by himself (if his WiFi is not working he might not even have
> easy access to the internet).

I'd say he definitely has another box handy, which he posted his
original message from.  Guessing it's not Debian, given his first post
comments, and that it was sent from Thunderbird instead of IceDove.
though the latter point is certainly not definitive:

Now that I've discovered his other system (at least one, maybe more) is
Linux, I'd guess he's not a total... novice.  He may have simply been in
a big hurry when he posted and didn't consider what relevant info was
needed.  Surely we'll know before long.

I will offer the following.  Regardless of the posting styles of the
various personalities on this least, this OP, and others, should be
grateful for the depths to which folks here will dig to get an issue
resolved, no matter how sparse the problem report, how little to go on.

--
Stan