Re: unable to renew ip

On 07/03/2014 09:12, lina wrote:

>> Your IP address should have no effect on your connection speed (i.e.
>> getting a new one won't help you any).  You have to find out what's
>> causing your connection's throughput to be slow.
>
> After changing IP, I don't need to wait a hellish time to open a webpage.
>
> At first I even suspected it's due to the updating of the gnutls, but
> later I realized this low-speed happened 8 hrs later after updating.

OK, so it probably has nothing to do with the update.

>> Some possibilities:
>>
>> (LAN)
>>  - Other things using the network (torrents, youtube, VoIP, etc)
>>  - QoS limiting what you're trying to do (torrents, youtube) in favor
>>    of something else (VoIP)
>>  - Router can't cope with the above
>>  - you've been hard-limited (on the router) to 10 mbit (or 100 mbit),
>>    and you were on gbit.
>
> I don't use torrents, VoIP. I don't think I have some hard-limit.

You're still on a (largeish, based on the Class-B network range) network
-- you at a university?

Just because _you_ aren't the one using those services doesn't mean that
someone else is not, and subsequently messing up your throughput.

You can check how fast your connection is by running the command
"ethtool eth0 | grep Speed" (sans quotes).  This will tell you the link
speed between you and the next hop (switch or router).  Most networks
should show 100Mb/s, though you could possibly also see 10 or 1000,
depending on

A. your PC's eth0 interface (10/100 or 10/100/1000)
B. The router/switch you're connected to (10/100 or 10/100/1000)
C. Physical layer problems (e.g. a bad connection, forcing 10Mb/s
   no matter what the capabilities are)
D. Rules set by your network admin the switch (e.g. hard limited to
   10Mb/s, no matter device capabilities)

>> (WAN)
>>  - ISP has over-sold the loop (generally cable)
>>  - ISP has over-sold the backhaul (DSL, fiber)
>>  - ISP fscked up your modem's provisioning, and you're on (e.g.) 10/1
>>    when you should be on 50/5 (etc.)
>
> Actually my wireless works well since it was allocated different ip at
> that time.
>>

> Thanks,

"WAN" means "Wide Area Network".  It's not your Wireless (WLAN)
connection; but rather the ISP's connection to your home/office/university.

You're still missing the point though -- IP address has no direct
correlation to allocated bandwidth, unless:

1. Someone used an IP address reference instead of MAC address to limit
   available bandwidth to a device.
2. You're on the wrong VLAN (IP 1.2.3.4 is on the guest/throttled
   network)