Re: unable to renew ip

On 07/03/2014 06:35, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use dhclient and just switch to google dns server.
>
> For months, I have bees stuck with the eth0 ip address 172.21.100.159

Uh, that's part of the private class-B range (172.16.0.0/12). You're
getting it from your local DHCP server.

Only way to change that would be to drop the IP address, and then flush
the DHCP server tables so that it doesn't re-assign you the same IP address.

Short version of how it works is you get a lease for (e.g.) a day ...
then when the day is up, your computer asks if the "just expired"
address is still available.  If it is, the lease is renewed with the
same IP address.

> For couple of hours, the interaction is unbearably slow.
>
> I changed to another cable, tried the `# dhcline -r` and `# dhclient`,
> but all not works.
>
> Are there some suggestions about how to change the IP address?
>
> Thanks,

Not sure how/why Jerome decided that the DHCP server is a windows box
though.

Your IP address should have no effect on your connection speed (i.e.
getting a new one won't help you any).  You have to find out what's
causing your connection's throughput to be slow.

Some possibilities:

(LAN)
 - Other things using the network (torrents, youtube, VoIP, etc)
 - QoS limiting what you're trying to do (torrents, youtube) in favor
   of something else (VoIP)
 - Router can't cope with the above
 - you've been hard-limited (on the router) to 10 mbit (or 100 mbit),
   and you were on gbit.

(WAN)
 - ISP has over-sold the loop (generally cable)
 - ISP has over-sold the backhaul (DSL, fiber)
 - ISP fscked up your modem's provisioning, and you're on (e.g.) 10/1
   when you should be on 50/5 (etc.)