Re: USB WiFi adapter doesn't work with Wheezy (but does work with Ubuntu)

On 14-02-27 04:25 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 28/02/14 07:13, Klaus wrote:
On 27/02/14 16:53, dclinton wrote:
I copied that file over to my Debian machine

Error: could not insert module rt5572sta.ko: Invalid module format

As you found by trial and error, you can't just copy kernel modules
between kernel versions.
As you also found out, your Debian installation on the Intel Galileo
board (did I guess this right?) runs a kernel version that has no
support for the Ralink chip in your wifi dongle.
As I can see it (but I'm by a long way no kernel expert), you've got few

-- upgrade to a newer kernel (probably 3.12 or newer). Is there anything
available for your board?

-- download the source for the driver and compile it. On Stackexchange I
found this
<http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/55987/ralink-rt5370-wireless-usb-dongle-not-working>
  (although strictly speaking that artcle was about a different dongle):
<quote>
Anyhow, with ralink there are two ways to get your hardware to work. You
can use the kernel driver (rt2800usb) or build the staging driver
(ralink's version) with the source code from the website.
<\quote>

 From having scanned through a few links, the "sta" part of the module on
your Ubuntu machine say it's a "staging" driver, i.e. something that
hasn't made it into the main kernel code yet. Whether or nor that
indicates it was compiled from the Ralink source or whether it came with
the kernel (where its source would have been in the staging tree) I
cannot tell.

Anybody more knowledgeable here able to chip in?

More knowledgeable? No.
But my google-fu feels strong ;)

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wireless-internet/161550-rt3070sta-module-license-unspecified-taints-kernel-solved.html
That is an interesting possibility. However, part of our problem is that we really don't want to have to rely on a compiled driver because we're deploying remotely and we need to be able to depend on the device surviving updates.
Thanks!

Kind regards