Re: USB WiFi adapter doesn't work with Wheezy (but does work with Ubuntu)

On 27/02/14 16:53, dclinton wrote:

I copied that file over to my Debian machine

Error: could not insert module rt5572sta.ko: Invalid module format

As you found by trial and error, you can't just copy kernel modules between kernel versions. As you also found out, your Debian installation on the Intel Galileo board (did I guess this right?) runs a kernel version that has no support for the Ralink chip in your wifi dongle. As I can see it (but I'm by a long way no kernel expert), you've got few options:

-- upgrade to a newer kernel (probably 3.12 or newer). Is there anything available for your board?

-- download the source for the driver and compile it. On Stackexchange I found this <http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/55987/ralink-rt5370-wireless-usb-dongle-not-working> (although strictly speaking that artcle was about a different dongle):
<quote>
Anyhow, with ralink there are two ways to get your hardware to work. You can use the kernel driver (rt2800usb) or build the staging driver (ralink's version) with the source code from the website.
<\quote>

From having scanned through a few links, the "sta" part of the module on your Ubuntu machine say it's a "staging" driver, i.e. something that hasn't made it into the main kernel code yet. Whether or nor that indicates it was compiled from the Ralink source or whether it came with the kernel (where its source would have been in the staging tree) I cannot tell.

Anybody more knowledgeable here able to chip in?

--
Klaus