Re: Am I paranoid?

On 26/02/14 02:23, Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:24:50 +1100
> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> My guess is that this situation is the result of invoking:
>>> dpkg -X *deb /
>>>
>>> or, simply unpacking a tarball into /.
>>> But your guess is as good as mine.
>>
>> Maybe, certainly my guesses as to the cause are similar... the tarball'd
>> be tricky (debsums).
>
> No, of course not. debsums only checks files which belong to an
> installed package. Such 'orphan' files are invisible to debsums,
> regardless of the way they landed into filesystem.

Which, um, might make confirming the authenticity, "tricky" - don't you
think? :)
If you don't understand what "tricky" means you've never seen a rabbit
pulled from a hat, or a girl sawn in half (magic/illusion).

The OP didn't post the results of mounting the filesystem and checking
against the md5sums (or where they are) for the files (installed
packages or everything in /bin /sbin ??). Until it's confirmed what
files *were checked* it's assumptions all the way down.

<snipped>

Kind regards