Re: Am I paranoid?

Hi!

Try to find that file. ( run something like "find / -name vmtoolsd" )

I did. It only shows that files are there:
/etc/pam.d/vmtoolsd
/usr/bin/vmtoolsd

dpkg ( or apt, aptitude, synaptic, etc ) is not the only way to install
things. It's only the most efficient ( on Debian ) and secure.
It is still possible to install from sources, for example, in this case,
it will problably be installed in /usr/local.
Also, it could be that your $PATH include a directory of your $HOME,
where an installer could have then installed something. For example, I
have installed some games like that: regnum, or redeclipse ( but I have
to type their complete names for now. I should add their pathes to my
$PATH for more ease of use, or bind their binaries to a shortcut... ).

echo $PATH
does not shows my home directory

I did not installed anything from source.

Good hunt.

Thnx