Am I paranoid?

I have a relatively new installation (2 months) of Debian Wheezy, and not many additionaly packages installed. I *never* installed any virtual machine on this computer, however, after some problems (that I first though were hardware related) I found that vmtoolsd is installed on this computer.

Synaptic does not show any installed VM package, same as my shell history.

I'm aware that virtualization theoretically could be used to gain backdoor (or at least processing power) and I wonder if I'm the lucky one. I'm willing to explore this if anybody is interested to lead me.