Re: fancontrol wheezy Dell T7610

On 2/25/2014 4:16 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 2/25/2014 9:53 AM, Dan wrote:
I  didn't open the computer. I do not know if the fan connectors have 4
pin. I prefer not to open the computer. It is on warranty.

If you don't want to void the warranty, then don't monkey with the fan
speed or accidentally shut any fans down for any amount of time.  That
can roast things.

There are companies that sell sound killing computer cabinets for tower
style computers but they're not cheap.  Google is your friend.  You
don't strike me as the handy type but I'll suggest the most common
inexpensive DIY path taken for killing PC noise.  This assumes the T7610
sits on the floor next to your desk, not on it.  If not, put it on the
floor already.

<snip>

Maybe a better idea - put it on the floor next to his boss's desk and run cables from a KVM switch to his office.

Noise from the computer will be the least of his worries :)

But seriously, you are correct. Encasing the tower in a sound dampening box works great. Just ensure there is enough ventilation (remember air has to get in also, not just out) and that you can access the power button, DVD, USB ports, etc. Making access holes for these without compromising the sound dampening is probably the hardest part.

Jerry
Jerry