Re: fancontrol wheezy Dell T7610

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Schrey <debian-user@schreyben.de> wrote:
Dan wrote:
I recently bought a workstation to do calculations. It has two Xeon
processors with 16 cores and 32 threads in total. I realized that the
temperature gets very high on high load typically 80C. That is way too
much. Then I changed the fan speed in the bios from auto to high. Now
temperatures are reasonable 45C, but it is very noise and it never
stops (even with no load) I have to reboot the computer to change the
fan speed..

I would like to use fancontrol but I  get:
/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

Do the fan connectors have 4 pins/wires (PWM control)?
If not, fancontrol will not work, IIRC.

It seems that lm-sensors do not read properly the fan. I get:
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +44.0°C  (high = +79.0°C, crit = +89.0°C)
[...]

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 1:  +44.0°C  (high = +79.0°C, crit = +89.0°C)
[...]

So 'sensors' only outputs coretemp-isa-* readings?

You did run 'sensors-detect' to configure lm-sensors?
Did it find any hardware sensors besides 'coretemp'?

(if it didn't, and you're running Wheezy's stock kernel,
it might be an option to try a more recent kernel)

I edited /etc/default/grub and added
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_enforce_resources=lax"
as suggested in http://hydra.geht.net/tino/howto/linux/fixes/w83627hf/

But no success. I checked /proc/cmdline and the option
acpi_enforce_resources=lax has been taken by the kernel.

Any idea or suggestion?

No clue if that option is really needed for your system...
Did you add that option because you had actual problems loading
a hardware sensor kernel module, or ACPI trouble?
Or was that just trial&error? (not clear from what you wrote)

Dear Ingmar,

Thanks for your answer

I  didn't open the computer. I do not know if the fan connectors have 4 pin. I prefer not to open the computer. It is on warranty.

I run sensors-detect, but no success. It only finds coretemp.

The option that I added in grub was just to try something.

I found out that I can control the fan with i8kutils. I can turn it on and off, but I can not use it with fancontrol. I would prefer to be able to use the fan with the standard "fancontrol" but at least it works. The drawback is that I can not control the speed.

Thanks,
Dan