Re: fancontrol wheezy Dell T7610

On 2/25/2014 9:53 AM, Dan wrote:
> I  didn't open the computer. I do not know if the fan connectors have 4
> pin. I prefer not to open the computer. It is on warranty.

If you don't want to void the warranty, then don't monkey with the fan
speed or accidentally shut any fans down for any amount of time.  That
can roast things.

There are companies that sell sound killing computer cabinets for tower
style computers but they're not cheap.  Google is your friend.  You
don't strike me as the handy type but I'll suggest the most common
inexpensive DIY path taken for killing PC noise.  This assumes the T7610
sits on the floor next to your desk, not on it.  If not, put it on the
floor already.

Build a 3 sided box out of 3/4" MDF with outside dimensions, matched to
the T7510

11W x 18H x 28D

Cover the inside and outside with low pile carpet, using 3M Super77
adhesive or simply lots of T50 1/4" staples.  Wrap it around the edges
and neatly trim it so it looks half way decent.

Lower it over the T7610 so you have 3.5" overhang front and rear.  This
will pretty much kill the noise problem instantly.  Carpeting the
outside isn't necessary for killing noise, but looks better than bare
MDF.  You could use black synth wood grain Melamine or even Maple veneer
if want it to really look fancy.  Finish is your choice.  You could
substitute 1.5" thick egg crate acoustic damping foam on the inside.
Carpet remnants are usually easier for most people to acquire from a
store or relative/friend, probably cheaper as well, and just as
effective at killing the noise.  I've build a few of these in the past
and they just work.

--
Stan