Re: resolv.conf misbehaving

Danny a écrit :

>> Warning : this setup is wrong and may not work as you expect. All listed
>> nameservers should be equivalent. Multiple nameservers are only for
>> redundancy, not to provide multiple sources.
>>
>> If you query the first server for an information out of its scope, it
>> may reply negatively (status: NXDOMAIN or NOERROR, ANSWER: 0) and the
>> next server won't be queried. So in the end you won't get your answer.
>
> However, what would be the point of giving resolv.conf multiple nameserver
> options then

I wrote it : redundancy.

> if one cannot "force" (for lack of
> a better word) it, or even arbitrarily change the order in which servers can be
> queried?

You can force or change the order of the nameservers. /etc/resolv.conf
even has an option "rotate" to do round-robin among the listed
nameservers. What you cannot do is expect the current resolver library to :
- ask a given nameserver for a given type of queries (e.g. "external
names"), and another nameserver for another given type of queries (e.g.
"internal names") ;
- ask the next nameserver if the previous nameserver replied that the
requested name does not exist or does not have a resource record for the
requested type (aka negative answer).

> The setup I had (Debian 3.0) worked. Unfortunately smart devices and more
> wireless laptops demanded attention. So I upgraded (clean install) to Debian
> 7.0. All I want to do is for all wireless devices to get DHCP from Debian (not
> the router) and query Debian (not the router) for name resolution. Simple as
> that.

Why then are you messing with the router's nameserver ?

If you need to resolve both internal and external names, I suggest that
you query only the Debian nameserver and configure it to reply to
recursive queries, either by itself or by forwarding them to the
router's nameserver.