Re: resolv.conf misbehaving

Hi,

My apologies, I must have missed your reply

> Warning : this setup is wrong and may not work as you expect. All listed
> nameservers should be equivalent. Multiple nameservers are only for
> redundancy, not to provide multiple sources.
>
> If you query the first server for an information out of its scope, it
> may reply negatively (status: NXDOMAIN or NOERROR, ANSWER: 0) and the
> next server won't be queried. So in the end you won't get your answer.

However, what would be the point of giving resolv.conf multiple nameserver
options then (if I understand you correctly), if one cannot "force" (for lack of
a better word) it, or even arbitrarily change the order in which servers can be
queried? So it would be absolutely pointless in even trying?

I think I am missing something somewhere, previously (Debian 3.0 and even later)
one could add multiple nameservers in resolv.conf and the list would be queried
one at a time if an ANSWER SECTION could not be obtained from the previous one.
I fail to understand then the reasoning for "limiting" resolv.conf (and
everything associated with it).

I am no expert (by a long way) when it comes to any sort of DNS, but you don't
need to be a Doctor to know when someone is ill.

The setup I had (Debian 3.0) worked. Unfortunately smart devices and more
wireless laptops demanded attention. So I upgraded (clean install) to Debian
7.0. All I want to do is for all wireless devices to get DHCP from Debian (not
the router) and query Debian (not the router) for name resolution. Simple as
that.

I appreciate your input.

Thank You

Danny