Re: systemd: some more questions

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:49:03 -0500
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> It has nothing to do with Red Hat's ifcfg network scripts or with
> network Manager.

Apparently that's why it was introduced in Fedora before anybody else
did.

> And it has nothing to do with Red Hat not having the udev net rules
> generator - you can look at old Fedora releases or current or old RHEL
> or RHEL clone releases.

'Having' - possibly. 'Using' - definitely not as of RHEL <= 5.

> One known problem with the udev net rules generator is that, if you
> replace your unique card eth0, the new card will be called eth1 if you
> don't remember to delete the "/etc/udev/rules.d/" rule that the udev
> net rules generator has created.

Indeed, that could be the problem.

> So the problem that the new behavior of udev solves is that cards are
> named according to their hardware slot/placement/...

Which sometimes change these 'predictable' names after reboot. Talk
about an improvement.

> There are drawbacks to (almost) everything: the new behavior makes us
> have to put with weird and unfamiliar nic names.
>
> As I posted earlier, there's a kernel cmdline option to enable/disable
> this behavior.

Which works if systemd is a pid 1 only, and isn't needed for Debian in
the first place.

Reco