Re: systemd: some more questions

Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:

But I fear a situation like this:

Random J. Hacker: "We could use a Debian stable server for this, but I
	   	  		   have to go and see how to port our boot script ..."
Project M. Anager: "Go and see?"
Random J. Hacker: "Yes, they changed the boot process and the documentation
	   	  		   does not cover all"
Project M. Anager: "No, we will stick to $whatsoever, we have no budget for
		   		    with old sysV init, we have non budget for..."

[Please note: mrs. Project M. Anager at least knows what she is
  talking about]

On an issue like this documentation is critical. Let's hope that RH
interest in systemd will give us this kind of documentation...

I haven't switched to Wheezy yet, and now this comes up. It's starting to sound like udev all over again. I still cringe when I think of the first time I replaced ethernet card in a server and udev changed the name -- took me a LONG time to figure out why the system wouldn't come up on the net (and I had to spend a day in the data center, with a directly connected terminal to do it).

This kind of change to a critical core facility is almost always painful. Sigh... (or is that "shudder...").

Miles Fidelman