Re: Dist-upgrade on remote server fails;

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 12:38 +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:42:25PM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> > I have a question regarding upgrading a remotely hosted VPN server. was
> > running Debian 6; I did a few upgrades to clear the way for a
> > dist-upgrade. I normally do this by getting the libc6 stuff and the
> > kernel image done first then the rest of my apps. I've had very few
> > issues with this in the past. However this is my first time to do it via
> > all command line interface on a remotely hosted VPN server. On this
> > server there is no kernel image or at least nothing in the /boot
> > directory & nothing shows to be installed as a kernel image in dselect.
> > the issue at hand is this message when I try to install the new libc6
> > parts:
>
> If the package manager doesn't know about your kernel and libc, then I
> think there's a number of possibilities: They've been installed manually
> (for example with ./configure ; make ; make install), The package
> manager has forgotten about them (unlikely, but disk-corruption could do
> that) or I *think* there are certain kinds of virtualised environments
> that don't expose the kernel to you. You don't say your remote server is
> virtual, though, so we'll exclude the latter.
>
> If you haven't installed the files manually, then you should probably
> check files like /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status for
> truncation/corruption.
what is the consequence of clearing out those files

> In terms of recovery, "dpkg -i --force-overwrite {something}.deb" MIGHT
> work, but note that issue of unsafeness (below).
I don't mind that, but I think I would try a complete reinstall of
Debian 6 then do the upgrade as they supply the "TOOL" for that. Less of
an issue I think.I should be able to just restore the wiki after that as
I did when they recently migrated the server (physically) & all the IP
addresses were toast. LOL they thought simply dropping in a snapshot of
the files system would be OK. Man were they off about that.

> > A copy of the C library was found in an unexpected directory:
> >   '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.13.so'
> > It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
> > please remove that copy of the C library or get it out of
> > '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' and try again.
> >
> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38
> > +deb7u1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
> > subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38+deb7u1_amd64.deb
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > If anyone has experience with this type of issue or running remotely
> > hosted servers please advise of any ideas for managing this issue. i
> > have researched a tried a couple of "processes that work" for some folks
> > already, but when I do move those c lib items to another directory the
> > whole system fails and I've only been able to rescue my self by having
> > several term windows open where I have command line access. I was able
> > to reinstall (as in put them back) using filezilla and a remote term
> > that was kept open for this purpose.
> > Thanks
> > John

<HTML>