Re: Dist-upgrade on remote server fails;

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:42:25PM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> I have a question regarding upgrading a remotely hosted VPN server. was
> running Debian 6; I did a few upgrades to clear the way for a
> dist-upgrade. I normally do this by getting the libc6 stuff and the
> kernel image done first then the rest of my apps. I've had very few
> issues with this in the past. However this is my first time to do it via
> all command line interface on a remotely hosted VPN server. On this
> server there is no kernel image or at least nothing in the /boot
> directory & nothing shows to be installed as a kernel image in dselect.
> the issue at hand is this message when I try to install the new libc6
> parts:

I suspect you are using a VPS, not a VPN: a virtual server. And
I also suspect that your provider is supplying the kernel for
the server from outside the mounted environment.

This could be something that's easy to change (your provider
will offer you a tool) or something that's impossible to change
(you are not running in a full virtualized environment, but in a
container or zone arrangement where your kernel is shared with
the hosting machine).

In either case, talk to tech support at your VPS provider and
get the facts.

-dsr-