Dist-upgrade on remote server fails;

I have a question regarding upgrading a remotely hosted VPN server. was
running Debian 6; I did a few upgrades to clear the way for a
dist-upgrade. I normally do this by getting the libc6 stuff and the
kernel image done first then the rest of my apps. I've had very few
issues with this in the past. However this is my first time to do it via
all command line interface on a remotely hosted VPN server. On this
server there is no kernel image or at least nothing in the /boot
directory & nothing shows to be installed as a kernel image in dselect.
the issue at hand is this message when I try to install the new libc6
parts:

A copy of the C library was found in an unexpected directory:
  '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.13.so'
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove that copy of the C library or get it out of
'/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' and try again.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38
+deb7u1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38+deb7u1_amd64.deb

If anyone has experience with this type of issue or running remotely
hosted servers please advise of any ideas for managing this issue. i
have researched a tried a couple of "processes that work" for some folks
already, but when I do move those c lib items to another directory the
whole system fails and I've only been able to rescue my self by having
several term windows open where I have command line access. I was able
to reinstall (as in put them back) using filezilla and a remote term
that was kept open for this purpose.
Thanks
John