Re: Dist-upgrade on remote server fails;

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:42:25PM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> I have a question regarding upgrading a remotely hosted VPN server. was
> running Debian 6; I did a few upgrades to clear the way for a
> dist-upgrade. I normally do this by getting the libc6 stuff and the
> kernel image done first then the rest of my apps. I've had very few
> issues with this in the past. However this is my first time to do it via
> all command line interface on a remotely hosted VPN server. On this
> server there is no kernel image or at least nothing in the /boot
> directory & nothing shows to be installed as a kernel image in dselect.
> the issue at hand is this message when I try to install the new libc6
> parts:

If the package manager doesn't know about your kernel and libc, then I
think there's a number of possibilities: They've been installed manually
(for example with ./configure ; make ; make install), The package
manager has forgotten about them (unlikely, but disk-corruption could do
that) or I *think* there are certain kinds of virtualised environments
that don't expose the kernel to you. You don't say your remote server is
virtual, though, so we'll exclude the latter.

If you haven't installed the files manually, then you should probably
check files like /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status for
truncation/corruption.

In terms of recovery, "dpkg -i --force-overwrite {something}.deb" MIGHT
work, but note that issue of unsafeness (below).