Re: Dist-upgrade on remote server fails;

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 12:48 -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 03:42:25PM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> > I have a question regarding upgrading a remotely hosted VPN server. was
> > running Debian 6; I did a few upgrades to clear the way for a
> > dist-upgrade. I normally do this by getting the libc6 stuff and the
> > kernel image done first then the rest of my apps. I've had very few
> > issues with this in the past. However this is my first time to do it via
> > all command line interface on a remotely hosted VPN server. On this
> > server there is no kernel image or at least nothing in the /boot
> > directory & nothing shows to be installed as a kernel image in dselect.
> > the issue at hand is this message when I try to install the new libc6
> > parts:
>
> I suspect you are using a VPS, not a VPN: a virtual server. And
> I also suspect that your provider is supplying the kernel for
> the server from outside the mounted environment.
Sorry about the terminology, & yes it is a virtual server called OpenVZ

> This could be something that's easy to change (your provider
> will offer you a tool) or something that's impossible to change
> (you are not running in a full virtualized environment, but in a
> container or zone arrangement where your kernel is shared with
> the hosting machine).
>
> In either case, talk to tech support at your VPS provider and
> get the facts.
>
> -dsr-

I did and their response is below:

> After discussion with another member of the technical team we do not
> appear to have any custom OpenVZ configurations that would cause such
> an issue. Also could you please expand as to what you mean by "I
> noticed that there is NO linux kernel image installed on this
> server".
Nothing in /boot  I.E. no kernel.
They do answer questions quickly but they also sell a fully managed
system for a much higher fee, that I'm not able to afford, nor do I want
those limitations.
I 'THINK' the libC issues are in fact related to the location of the
actual kernel they are providing. I'm fairly sure they have a kernel
with its own LIBC supplied from elsewhere & that they have provided the
libC locations as deemed proper by their tech staff. Issue is the OS
Debian 6 "minimal" does NOT actually provide all the tools I need to run
the REQUIRED software for my site. At least not if I keep it all
upgraded. An example: I need to upgrade ocaml to a more recent version
in order to compile the Texvc system for the mathematics of my mediawiki
installation. There are many other similar instances. I can't get the
currect stable version of ocaml to install since I can't get the
dependencies satisfied due to the outdated libc6 items.
Thanks
John