Re: How to block kernel updates

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 09:52:17 +0000
Roelof Wobben <rwobben@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Im not the average newbie and Im running jessie now.
>
> Can anyone tell me a good partition scheme for a 80G disk so im not
> running again in problems.

As Chris and others have said elsewhere, one partition is generally OK
on a workstation. You might keep /home on a separate one, to make
reinstallation a little easier if it becomes necessary, but if you're
keeping valuable data in /home, you should be backing it up anyway.

On a server, there is a risk that /var will suddenly explode in size
or just enlarge slowly without being managed properly. This cannot be
allowed to choke the system and kill it, so at least /var will have a
separate partition. The chance of this happening on a workstation,
generally rebooted every day and not running external services, is very
small. Also, a workstation will normally have a human sitting at the
screen most of the time, and a warning of low disc space can be dealt
with.

I run several partitions on my main workstation, because I experiment a
bit, but my mobile installations are single-partition. The main
workstation has LVM installed, so I can resize the partitions if
necessary.

--
Joe