Re: How to block kernel updates

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 21:37:22 +0000
Roelof Wobben <rwobben@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 21:27:37 +0000
> > Subject: Re: How to block kernel updates
> > From: rc.rattusrattus@gmail.com
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> > On 7 February 2014 21:19, Roelof Wobben <rwobben@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I want to block the kernel updates because they cannot be
> >> installed ny lack of space.
> >>
> >> How can I block them ?
> >>
> >> Roelof
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > You can pin or hold them depending on your package manager. I would
> > update your current kernel when updates are available to get
> > security fixes
> >
> > --
> > rob
> >

> > --
> >

> Thanks, it worked.
> I use the apt-mark way.
>
> Roelof

You can also remove any kernel metapackage e.g. linux-image-amd64. Apt
will not normally attempt to replace whatever kernel you have
installed, as it is a bit risky, and as you say, needs quite a chunk
of additional space. The metapackage is used when you specifically want
to stay upgraded to the latest of the appropriate type and are willing
to fix the occasional problem.

And I know it works because I've just remembered that I did exactly
that some time ago, to block a particular upgrade I knew would cause
trouble. Several kernels have passed by since then...wish me luck when
I reboot...

--
Joe