Re: How to block kernel updates

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:10:09 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 10:07:34PM +0000, Joe wrote:
> > You can also remove any kernel metapackage e.g. linux-image-amd64.
> > Apt will not normally attempt to replace whatever kernel you have
> > installed, as it is a bit risky, and as you say, needs quite a chunk
>
> How is it risky?

I run three or four sid installations. Occasionally a new kernel does
not boot, often due to a grub problem. There was a year or so when
someone forgot that a separate boot partition is possible three times.
The second and third occasions were at least easy to fix once I knew
what was happening.

>Anyway, you're forgetting about security updates.

Yes, it wasn't intentional, I forgot to return things to normal once
the problem had been fixed.

--
Joe