Re: Any reason not to run amd64 these days?

Le 04.02.2014 15:16, darkestkhan a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:56 -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
You will, especially on this mailing list, get a lot of people who act like running 64-bit if you don't have more than 4 GiB of RAM is some
sort of apocalyptic disaster

I "only" have 4 GiB and I used 64-bit architecture with less than 4 GiB
too. IMO using 64-bit is better than to use 32-bit.

Especially when one considers that 64-bit applications can make use of
full register set of AMD64 (which is 16 instead of 8). This by itself
can give
quite a bit of speedup for some applications (like games, media,
{de,}compression). I'm running it w/o any issues on laptop with 2.5GB RAM available. Granted sometimes I would like to have slightly more RAM (4GB would be really nice), but on day to day basis I don't have problems with it.

--

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.

I have 2 64bits computers at home, a desktop with lot of ram ( 4GB, and I never have used more than 3 with debian... cache included. ), and a netbook with only 1GB of ram.

The netbook lacked a bit of ram when I ran compilation with 2 threads on GCC, but with CLang it is no longer an issue, even with 4 threads ( and only compilation with 4 threads was able to use fully the processor. ). No bug of any kind because of drivers or multiarch on those computers at all. The netbook have non-free driver for wifi, and the desktop uses the nvidia blob. I am also using skype which is 32bit and opera ( non free, but they give 64 and 32 bit version, for most distros. Those guys are really great btw! ) For now, I do not have to use wine, but I see no reason for which it would not work, the installation is pretty straightforward, if you added 32bit arch previously. Or you could install some virtual computer, which could be ( or not ) a more reliable solution.

The only problems with Debian's multiarch implementation are, that you will not be able to disable the iX86 arch after having enabled it, and that the dependency resolution system is quite poor: sometimes it will install 32bit libraries which are not really needed, but I did not dug a lot to understand the how and why of that fact ( I had the problem with some qt libs. Multiarch is so messy nowadays... )

Now, amd64 will allow you to make full use of your hardware, unlike iX86 archs. So I really see no valid reason to install debian i386 on an amd64 computer.