Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

Le 05.02.2014 07:46, Zenaan Harkness a écrit :
On 2/5/14, Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello list,

I have an Asus laptop, with 720 gigs hardisk and i5 processor.
Right now I have a dual boot of Windoze (only for playing fifa
and assassins creed) and debian wheezy 64 bit.

Here is the screenshot of my current partitions.
http://i.imgur.com/YI4a1oU.png

I used to use multiple partitions as you do.

Nowadays, the only partitions I use are:
/boot - about 1GiB
/ - root partition, the rest

This way, it's really simple, and the old reasons (for most home users at least) for having multiple partitions are no longer valid (separate
backups, making sure /root does not fill up, etc), since the HDDs are
so capacious.

I use various HDDs, and usually they have less than 500GiB, so, I still do some partitioning job when I install my computers.

First, I try to have a 5GiB boot partition. Why so big? Because DVD are 4.7GiB large, so this size allows me if I have a problem to boot on installation iso DVD. I could use other isos, indeed, but sometimes I lack Internet connection. Then, my / partition is around 1GiB. Probably too large, since it contains only few files, almost only text files ( /etc ). I mount /var and /usr on other partitions, first because it is advised to do so on lot of Internet docs, but in the time, facts and experience proved that those docs were true, because one time I did not did it, and filled my root partition ( /var growth fast when you are using more than one repo, and /usr also when you tinker and try to discover tools ). It was not hard to understand and fix the problem, but I do now really want to tinker again with this if I can avoid it. At the moment, I use something like 5GiB for /usr and same for /var. However, someone with larger HDDs could simply use, say, 50GiB for /, /usr and /var. It should be enough to contain all Debian DVDs for one arch, which means that even if you install everything for your arch, you wont fill entirely your /. Then, I usually have 2 partitions of same size: one for /home, another to backup /home, in case I do something wrong. I must admit that I rarely do backup so it's almost only wasted space. For /tmp, I use a 1GiB partition, formatted with ext2, to not have any journaling feature, and so, increase speed, even if it is not a lot.

Another reason that I can see about partitioning with some care, if you know what you want and the size of tools you need, is configuration of partitions. For example, / will only have very small files in it, so you can use "news" option of ext, and /var may contain big files, so using "largfile" ( or something alike ) may, or may not, be interesting. It will loose lot of space for small files, but will avoid fragmentation of bigger ones ( yes, fragmentation exists on extX, even if the problem is far less problematic than with FAT or NTFS. Reducing fragmentation may, or may not, speed up when the system do some cleaning there ). There is also the possibility to forbid executing files on some partitions, or use options like noatime.

But, those things are for tinkerers and/or people which needs high performances, for example on servers. A normal user probably do not mind about that.

1) What partitioning scheme should I choose now, If I want to have
/home, /var, /usr, /tmp on different partitions and I just want a windoze
partition of 50-60 gb.

But WHY do you want them on separate partitions? XY problem?

I second this. Partitioning is something which cost a lot of time. Doing it without knowing why is not a good thing.

Now, if your boot is slow, I do not think that the problem comes from a bad partition scheme. I would bet more on the same reasons which makes windows computer slow: tons of useless stuff starts.
Try to run:
$/usr/sbin/service --status-all

You will probably find stuff you do not need and which are running. Also, it depends heavily on your desktop environment. Using bloatwares makes the computer slow. KDE and gnome may be called bloatwares, and are if you do not use most of their features. Using the right tools for your needs is the best way to make a computer fast, even despite old hardware. The problem is that it implies to learn what you really need, and which software gives you only the feature you really use.