Re: Help with command - cp

On 27/01/2014 3:05 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> * The --dry-run option will show you what the command will do
> As I said to Zenaan, it is obviously time for me to bite the bullet of
> rsync.  It seems a significantly better tool for the purpose than cp.

Don't be scared of rsync, it works a great deal like cp and if you do
use cp, then I think the best habit is to always use "cp -p" to keep
permissions or "cp -a" for a full archive copy.

The --dry_run option of rsync is a great test to make sure you get it
right first; there are lots more options too, for all sorts of reasons
(including consideration of not crossing file systems or handling of
symbolic links).

Cheers
A.