Re: Help with command - cp

On 28/01/14 13:22, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
On 27/01/2014 3:05 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
* The --dry-run option will show you what the command will do
As I said to Zenaan, it is obviously time for me to bite the bullet of
rsync.  It seems a significantly better tool for the purpose than cp.
Don't be scared of rsync, it works a great deal like cp and if you do
use cp, then I think the best habit is to always use "cp -p" to keep
permissions or "cp -a" for a full archive copy.

The --dry_run option of rsync is a great test to make sure you get it
right first; there are lots more options too, for all sorts of reasons
(including consideration of not crossing file systems or handling of
symbolic links).

Cheers
A.

Also, if rsync gets stopped for any reason, ie your computer crashes or the remote location disconnects, it will restart from where it stopped using the same command line used previously.

I believe with cp if something goes wrong you have to start from the very beginning overwriting all the already copied files, unless you exclude them.

:)