Re: missing package long descriptions

On 1/27/14, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 27 Jan 2014 at 09:52:03 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
>> On 1/27/14, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > And if you comment out file:/// sources and uncomment the iiNet
>> > sources?
>> > No updating, of course.
>>
>> Package descriptions show again; similarly if I have both sources
>> uncommented.
>
> We'll have
>   A=iiNet sources and AT=translation files for A
>   B=file sources and BT=translation files for A
>
> AFAICT: if the order in sources.list is A, B then AT is merged with the
> corresonding binary file. Check by editing a line for a package file in
> AT. If AT is moved then BT is sourced.
>
> If the sources.list order is reversed then BT is merged with the
> corresonding binary file. Check by looking for the edit in 'apt-cache
> show'. If BT is moved then AT is sourced.
>
> It seems a translation file is not being merged with a binary file when
> the iiNet sources are commented. Pass.

OK. So this file:
/var/lib/apt/lists/_public_debian_debian_dists_sid_main_i18n_Translation-en

is missing! Deceptive filesystem ... :)

So the real question is why is that file missing. And that I'll
probably never know. ... testing now..

OK, re-mounting my local repo, and apt-get update gives the following
line, obvious in hindsight:
W: Failed to fetch
bzip2:/public/debian/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

So it appears that I could have done my last debmirror update in a way
which didn't quite match time/procedure/whatever withe respect to
iiNets mirror updating, or perhaps just that file had a random
problem. I have "--md5sums" enabled in debmirror, but perhaps that
only checks the _existing_ files, and does not MD5sum check the
downloaded files, or perhaps my HDD is failing - so many
possibilities...

Thank you very much for assistancing,
Zenaan