Re: Using loop devices in Debian

On 1/26/14, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 January 2014 02:53, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>
>> OK, loopback mounting:
>
> I wish people would clearly distinguish "loop" devices from "loopback"
> devices.

Just after you clarified this very point the other day too ... oh
well, I shall try harder next time :)

> The word loopback appears nowhere in 'man losetup', nor in any actual
> command for a loop device, but somehow it has come into widespread
> use.

> I am aware this usage is widespread. It has even infected loop.c
>
> $ uname -r
> 3.2.0-4-686-pae
> $ grep -i loopback loop.c | wc -l
> 1
> $ grep -i loop loop.c | wc -l
> 322
>
> However it feels quite wrong to me to not distinguish the two, because
> they are totally different things, with almost nothing in common. It
> is easily achieved.

Distinguishing of concepts is very useful to competant use of the
concepts in question - at least where there is likelihood of mixing up
the two. That's why I clarified my point on "mounting" a file to the
loop device (calling it loopback unfortunately).

> If I am overlooking something, please do feel free to correct me.

There is a similarity in the dynamic of the two things, even though
they are quite different.

Theoretically, IP addresses could be "mounted" on loopback devices, if
things were similar enough.

There was a concept of minimizing namespace barriers, to maximize
interaction possibilities, and simplify learning... "everything is a
file" was a good start.

Anyway, enough philosophy and thanks for the reminder - I do appreciate clarity.