Re: fastest linux distro

On Sat, January 25, 2014 9:17 am, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, tom arnall wrote:
>
>> I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.
>>

>> System:
>>
>> Dell latitude D630
>> dual core
>> 2g memory
>>

>> most used applications:
>>
>> icewm
>> gnome-terminal
>> vim
>> perl
>> chrome browser
>> transmission
>>

>> Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of
>> it.
>>
>> Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> First, add more RAM
> Eliminate unneeded background processes
> Use a lightweight desktop like LXDE or XFCE; or
> Use only a lightweight window manager
> Switch to a distro designed for old hardware like AntiX; or
> Install a "base" terminal system, add only the components you need

Yes, a D630 will carry double that RAM factor and, if it's a speed boost
you are after that's the way to effect it with what you have now. After
that, if it is so vital that you have your friends round for speed
competitions, install Slackware if you can handle it, or VectorLinux if
you can't. The one is based on the other and both are notably quick.
Cheers!

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515