Re: update flash

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Curt wrote:
> > Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > Of course, the package could set up a cron job to do the update
> > > automatically, but most people would hate that (me included) and it's
> > > trivial to do it yourself.
> >
> > It could check for an updated version and, if one is available, alert
> > the user by the usual methods.
>
> I'm not aware of any "usual methods" that would work across the entire
> range of installations.

That is also a problem.  This has come up for discussion before too.
What is a notification method that is suitable for everyone?  For me I
expect to receive an email from the machine.  Because to me just being
a Unix-like machine implies that it has the capability for email.  But
I know many people today would not expect an email, would not want an
email, and would never read an email if one were generated.  Therefore
right at the start there are irreconcilable differences.  And if you
don't use email what possible method can be used?

I know some people are going to immediately think, pop up a desktop
notification balloon with the message.  But that doesn't work on
servers that don't even have a graphics display.  Most "servers" are
headless.  There won't be a display to pop up a graphics balloon.  And
if they were running a desktop no one would be looking at it.  So that
doesn't work.

And so it is really difficult to have a default installation method
that works for everyone.  We can only allow the local admin to create
or customize their system for their own purposes.  That is the only
way to maintain a Universial Operating System.

Bob