Re: why linux can't see my memory

On 1/6/14, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> That's a pretty ancient chip set, and it looks like your motherboard
> won't hold more than 2G.  I expect the memory hole is NOT your problem,
> as it would restrict you from seeing the top 1G of 4G, I don't think it
> would keep you from using all 1G, but then again, I'm just a little
> foggy on whether there are situations where the bottom of your address
> space would be shadowed.
>
> I'd follow Scott Ferguson's advice, try to get Knoppix to boot and then
> see what dmidecode tells you.  Or maybe burn a copy of SystemRescueCD
> (http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage) and see if you can
> boot from it, then start poking around with some of the tools on it
> (e.g., hwreport).
>
> Miles Fidelman

I have some good and bad news to report

I plug a disk that has Windows 98 to update BIOS
the disk happen to have Linux, so I boot it
and it boots OK, it's woody and use kernel 2.2
I run the top command , it correctly reports about 1 G memory
and I also starts X window

bad news is woody no longer has practical use for me

Can I run dmidecode from woody?