Re: why linux can't see my memory

On 1/5/14, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> If you have a memory hole, chances are there wouldn't be a BIOS option
> to help.  It has to do with the way that memory-mapped i/o is handled
> with some families of chips and their associated motherboards.
>
> For example, I have two older servers - fully loaded with 4Gig of RAM
> (as I said, older servers) - but no way, no how does the system see more
> than 3G.  The other 1G is taken up by memory mapped i/o space.  It's a
> hardware design issue, not a BIOS issue.  (For reference: P4 640
> processor, Supermicro P8SCT motherboard).
>
> In addition to the reference I sent earlier, this sort of describes the
> issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier
> and this: http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm
> If you do some googling, you'll also find an Intel design note that's
> the definitive description of the issue (I can't seem to find it right now)
>
> Some BIOSs support "memory hole remapping," but others don't - and that
> assumes the underlying chipset and motherboard will support it.  A lot
> don't.
>
> Of course this might not be the problem you're seeing.  What CPU,
> chipset, motherboard, and BIOS are you running?

Thanks!

CPU is P4/2.9G, motherboard is  848P-M7
it's quite like 848P-M Deluxe:

http://www.ecs.com.cn/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=402&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

actually I might try to update BIOS from site above
model numbers are the same, it's not recommended to update
but it seems I have no other choice
if motherboard become unusable, my trouble also ends

I can't fully understand technical details you describe
the point I want to repeat is the machine can run Windows XP
and in memtest it's OK after configuration

Linux fail here, (or does it?)