Vuescan not working as <user>

I'm having trouble getting Vuescan working with testing x86. I worked
under Linux Mint.

I have my name in the scanner and saned "group"

scanner:x:105:saned,rodney
saned:x:118:rodney

As my own account, I am unbable to get it to recognize the scanner.

As root, I can find the the scanner and scan items.

as root, when I use the following command'

sudo sane-find-scanner -f

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
  sure that # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI
  adapter.

  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
  sure that # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host
  controller and have setup # the USB system correctly. See man
  sane-usb for details.

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
  ports # can't be detected by this program.

it never finds the scanner.

Right now, I'm at a loss

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

--
Rodney D. Myers <rod_dmyers@fastmail.fm>

        Ben Franklin - 1759