Re: Dovecot *requires* MySQL?

On Vi, 03 ian 14, 08:22:50, Intense Red wrote:
> On Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:04:33 PM Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > Dovecot does not require mysql. The dovecot-common package
> > recommends dovecot-mysql. Apt installs recommended packages by
> > default, but they are not required. You can exclude recommended
> > packages with --no-install-recommends.
>
>    And to do this without adding the command-line parameter, edit the file
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20norecommends putting:
>
>    APT {
>       Install-Recommends "false";
>    };
>
> into it, and/or use the command
>
> echo 'APT::Install-Recommends "0";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

I disagree to using this *permanent* setting, except for space
restricted machines[1]. It only drives package maintainers to put in
Depends what actually belongs in Recommends.

If you find that Recommends are used wrongly do file bugs. See #731180
for an example.

[1] in my case a Raspberry Pi running from a 2 GiB SD card.

Kind regards,
Andrei