Re: Dovecot *requires* MySQL?

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> wrote:

> Setting out to install dovecot-imapd on a squeeze host via apt-get,
> I discovered that:

>   dovecot-common libmysqlclient16 libpq5 mysql-common
>
> I understand that neither of the two mysql debs named above provide
> MySQL _server_ function, so why are they needed? I refuse to have a
> MySQL server on (or doing business with) any host for which I am
> responsible. I ma not really happy with that 'client' mysql thingie,
> to be completely honest!

Dovecot does not require mysql. The dovecot-common package
*recommends* dovecot-mysql. Apt installs recommended packages by
default, but they are not required. You can exclude recommended
packages with --no-install-recommends. The only technical downside to
having mysql-common and libmysqlclient16 is about 5KB of disk space.

Regards,
Jordan Metzmeier