Dovecot *requires* MySQL?

Setting out to install dovecot-imapd on a squeeze host via apt-get,
I discovered that:

  dovecot-common libmysqlclient16 libpq5 mysql-common

I understand that neither of the two mysql debs named above provide
MySQL _server_ function, so why are they needed? I refuse to have a
MySQL server on (or doing business with) any host for which I am
responsible. I ma not really happy with that 'client' mysql thingie,
to be completely honest!

tia

--
Bob Bernstein

    I am dissatisfied, profoundly so, with the world as it is. But I
    would be dissatisfied with any world. And I'd hate to lose my
    dissatisfaction.

                                       Alfred Kazin