Re: Sound But No CD Sound - Pulseaudio Problem?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 01:55:59PM -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:14:00 -0400
> "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 09:15:35AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > My system is Wheezy.
> > > ogg123 plays ogg files perfectly with sound.
> > > workbone plays the cd but there is no sound.
> > > cdir lists the tracks on the cd.
> > >
> > Could this be a pulseaudio problem?  Something wrong in my setup?  In
> > /etc/fstab I have /dev/sr0	/cdrom iso9550,ro,user,noauto.  The
> > command cdplay like workbone starts reading the CD but no sound.
> > Perhaps the signal is being redirected to nowhere?
>
> That's possible. I had problems with sound when pulseaudio was
> installed by recommends at one time. I removed pulseaudio and all was
> well again. On my current setup with xfce there is no puleaudio and I
> have no problems with sound.
>
> libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0 are installed but all is well.

Tried purging pulseaudio.  This did not solve the problem, just removed
the handy volume control from the top lin of the gnome desktop.
Reinstalled pulseaudio as that volume control is very convenient.

I don't understand why there is no cd source volume sider in alsamixer.
There used to be one.  Still that is probably irrelevant as there is
sound output from the cd as proved by ripit which writes an ogg file
that ogg123 can play with sound coming out the speakers.