Re: Grub2 menu editing

On Thu, December 26, 2013 2:40 pm, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, December 25, 2013 12:14 pm, Gary Roach wrote:
>>>
>>> Would someone tell me how to edit the grub2 menu. I have over 10 items
>>> showing including versions of the OS that I don't even use anymore.
>>> Further, the items are out of order and I have to be careful when
>>> rebooting or the wrong OS gets loaded. I'm using Debian Wheezy and AMD
>>> 64 OS with an Intel i5750 processor.
>>
>> For a start, open up a terminal, su to root, open mc or preferred file
>> manager and delete old unused initrd versions and old boot versions out
>> of
>> your `boot' file. Then isssue `update-grub'.
>
> If the OP's going to remove some vmlinux-<kernver> and
> initrd.img-<kernver>, he should remove the corresponding
> "/lib/modules/<kernver>" directory too.
>
> But before dealing with his system this way, he should check whether
> these kernels were installed with dpkg/apt (with "dpkg -S
> /boot/vmlinuz-<kernver>") and, if they are, purge them with apt-get or
> aptitude.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that the OP is not an
experienced user and even the instructions I tendered might have been out
of reach.

I've found it best to try communicating something on an accessible level.
Most of the replies I have seen don't fit into that category, but assume a
knowledge that the average new user simply doesn't have and would produce
no end result other than them quietly uninstalling and going away.

It's pointless supplying information if it's not accessible, no matter how
well intentioned.
Cheers!

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515