Re: Grub2 menu editing

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Wed, December 25, 2013 12:14 pm, Gary Roach wrote:
>>
>> Would someone tell me how to edit the grub2 menu. I have over 10 items
>> showing including versions of the OS that I don't even use anymore.
>> Further, the items are out of order and I have to be careful when
>> rebooting or the wrong OS gets loaded. I'm using Debian Wheezy and AMD
>> 64 OS with an Intel i5750 processor.
>
> For a start, open up a terminal, su to root, open mc or preferred file
> manager and delete old unused initrd versions and old boot versions out of
> your `boot' file. Then isssue `update-grub'.

If the OP's going to remove some vmlinux-<kernver> and
initrd.img-<kernver>, he should remove the corresponding
"/lib/modules/<kernver>" directory too.

But before dealing with his system this way, he should check whether
these kernels were installed with dpkg/apt (with "dpkg -S
/boot/vmlinuz-<kernver>") and, if they are, purge them with apt-get or
aptitude.