Re: [SOLVED] Re: setting up usb wireless

Frank McCormick wrote:
>   Yes I noticed on the Ralink Tech site that some of the drivers
> cover a wide range of chipsets. It was weird that the adapter seemed
> to be setup but couldn't function under dhcp.

I have seen wifi associate and then not obtain a dhcp address on a
variety of chipsets and drivers.  Intel, Broadcom, Realtek.  And so I
conclude that the problem must be at a different layer since there is
no commonality below.

> But today I had different problems with the passphrase which I
> finally sorted out. And then the adapter kept dropping out and
> reverting to wired...and it's only a few feet from the router.

You have a wire?  If I have a wire then I always use it.  Wired
connections are always going to be more reliable than radio because
radio is susceptible to noise among other problems.

> Wireless under Linux can be a PITA.

All I have to do is mention "Limited or no connectivity" and cringe.
I am sure others reading this will too.  If you type that into a
search engine with auto-prompting on the only hits after that are for
MS Windows.  Typically that means network connected but no DNS servers
are configured.  But useless error messages like that make it very
difficult for people.  Things are much better under Debian GNU/Linux
than under MS-Windows by a long distance!

Bob