Re: [SOLVED] Re: setting up usb wireless

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
> >Frank McCormick, 19.12.2013:
> > >    Solved my problem. +1 for wicd in the Debian repositories...-10
> > > for gnome-nettool :)
> > >
> > > If you are having wireless setup problems, it's the tool to goto.
> >
> > FWIW, I have a cheap usb wireless adabter with the same identifier
> > listed in your lsusb (ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370
> > Wireless Adapter) and it's been working fine with Network Manager in
> > Gnome (in fallback mode) in wheezy.  Haven't needed wicd, or anything
> > else for that matter, to get it working.  (The performance isn't too
> > great but that's probably due to the driver and/or hardware.)
>
>   Well try as I might..I could not get the darned thing to operate.
> It was setup properly but I couldn't use it. As I said wicd solved
> the problem for me in Debian. On the other hand, I just booted into
> Fedora 19 and it recognized the device, set it up..called dhcp and
> it was ready and waiting when I reached the desktop. Weird or what.

I don't like NM but the symptoms you reported don't seem to be due to
the difference between wicd and NM.  The symptoms showed that the wifi
was associated but no dhcp response was received.  I sometimes get
this too using the Intel 2200BG driver.  I think it might more likely
have been a driver issue.  I find that unloading and reloading the
driver fixes the problem.  And another list member reported the same
thing recently too.  I think that may have been more likely the issue
rather than the choice of system management software.  I think for
this particular case either wicd or NetworkManager would have been
okay and that it isn't a particular problem with NM.

On the surface if there isn't a dhcp received then I would expect that
one wasn't sent on the server side.  However in practice I find that I
have had kernel driver issues more often and reloading the driver
fixes it and therefore it cannot be due to missing dhcp frames.  The
unanswered question is what situation causes the device to report
being associated but fails to communicate data?  Don't know.

I am using the ralink driver with a USB RT3070 device.  That is
different from the RT5370 device you are using but I think the driver
is the same?  For me it is the rt2800usb family.  The ralink driver
has been working well for me.  I am using one as a client and two as
an access points and found they work pretty well for me.  So far I
would give them a thumbs up.

> >Anyway, it's good that you solved your problem, whichever way was handy.
>
>   Any port in a storm :)

Agreed.  Glad that your problem is solved.

Bob