Re: [SOLVED] Copy and Paste between xterm and other windows in a Debian XFCE environment

Stephen Powell wrote:
> Installing xfce4-terminal worked for me.  Actually, based on someone
> else's post, I installed task-xfce-desktop, which brought in a whole
> slew of stuff, including xfce4-terminal, then purged xterm, the lightdm*
> stuff, and task-xfce-desktop itself, which has a dependency on lightdm.
> (I'm using xdm and don't want to use lightdm or even have it installed.)
> xfce4-terminal is now my default terminal emulator in the XFCE desktop
> environment.  Shift+Ctrl+C copies and Shift+Ctrl+V pastes in xfce4-terminal.
>
> In most other applications, such as iceweasel, Ctrl+C copies and Ctrl+V
> pastes.  That makes sense to require the Shift in the terminal emulator,
> since Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V need to retain their historic functions for
> terminals.  (Of course, you can also copy and paste via the mouse
> and the action bar Edit menu.)

I take it from the above you wish to use C-c, C-x, C-v in the
terminal, okay to use Shift-C-c, Shift-C-x, Shift-C-v in the terminal,
instead of the mouse for cutting and pasting?  Because those do all
tend to imply using the clipboard instead of the primary selection.
And this is a very personal thing.  People either like using one or
the other.  X has traditionally used the mouse with the primary
selection.  MS-Windows has traditionally used the keyboard with the
clipboard.  And the two worlds have been clashing ever since! :-)

> I tried all sorts of stuff regarding .Xresources, as suggested by other
> posts, but nothing worked for me in that area.  (That was while I was
> still using xterm, of course.)

I still think it should work fine (X primary selection cutting and
pasting with the mouse) in the default configuration without any
additional configuration added.  But regardless I am glad to hear that
you have something you are happy with for you.  :-)

> I couldn't find any documented options in xorg.conf for emulating a
> 3-button mouse with a 2-button mouse either.  I remember that option
> from older versions of the X server.  These days, input devices,
> such as keyboards and mice, are expected to be auto-detected.

If you don't have anything set then I believe the default will work
okay without any specific configuration.

Bob