Re: Selecting partions to use via preseed.cfg

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:54:44AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
I am aware of the options demonstrated in
http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/example-preseed.txt .

They do not cover my case of interest.
I am experimenting with various configurations of Debian.
My procedure *REQUIRES* installing Debian to a specific partition of
of a disk already containing data and possibly other installs.

If you have access to a spare machine, it is always worth experimenting on a machine
that contains no vital information and that contains nothing that you need to keep.

*GRIN* I purchased a used laptop explicitly as a test bed. The disk contains the other configurations I'm currently trying and a copy of the distribution DVDs. The various preseed.cfg's are on a flash drive. Disaster recovery is simple, though possibly tedious.

I currently handle this by deleting all partitioning information from
my preseed.cfg .
This forces manual intervention during which I specify which
partition I wish to use (for / and swap).

If the free partition you have to install on is always the same one,

But it's not.
I didn't make clear how my disk is partitioned prior to following test cycle.
A typical scheme is
sda1 - an install resembling typical user defaults
sda5, sda6, sda7 - a "current" experimental installs
sda8 - local repository
sda9 - swap
All the disk space is accounted for.
I then choose among (sda5, sda6, sda7) for target of next trial.

then you can script this with preseed. If grub will always be present on a boot
partition at the start of the disk, you don't care provided that your new install
will write a grub configuration that boots.

This is the only point requiring manual intervention. I would like
to eliminate it. The "partition recipe" approach is not suitable.

Ideas?
TIA