Re: CD drive not showing up anymore

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 12:46 AM, Slavko wrote:
Ahoj,

Dňa Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:38:00 +0100 Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> napísal:

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 10:31 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 10:23 +0100, Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
Can this be a dbus issue?

MO it could, but as written off-list in German, udev might be the
culprit too. And for GNOME-like DE's such as Xfce, it should be the
task of gvfs, while for KDE it might be KIO.

A security issue might be possible too, perhaps the kid family is
broken, policy kit or whatever might have to do with it.

My daughter has similar problem. I investigated it remotely only, but
it seems, that the CD/DVD drive is not recognized at boot time. Then it
is not a DE's related problem. I cannot tell more yet.

Hi Matthias,

I'm not an expert, but from my reading of the manpages for udev and udisks if you run the following command in the terminal
udisks --monitor
and try and load a cd and later eject it. You should see some messages at this point.

If this works, your udev rules are fine. You'd then have to look at the desktop side - gvfs in gnome's case.

In case this doesn't work your issue lies somewhere between the kernel and udev - driver issue or rules issue.

Sincerely,
Kailash