Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Monday 02 December 2013 17:59:50 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 02 December 2013 15:22:23 AP wrote:
> > It is really wonder to know that Debian doesn't include them
> > because of yet another war of license....whatever...If the actual
> > code is free, still such issues arise is a wonder to think....! I
> > now think that KMail must be a bit less resourceful than
> > Thunderbird.
>
> Horses for courses.  MUA's change.  So do people!
>
> I don't personally know KMail 1.13.6.  I do not use KDE4.  I use
> 1.9.10 and Trinity 3.13.2.  But it is KMail 1.13.6 that is prebably
> under discussion here.  So on that I cannot really comment.

Sorry - I lost the email and it turns out I sent it. :-(

As I was saying, I do not know the version of KMail under discussion,
so cannot comment.  The email clients continuously emulate each
other, so that important differences gradually disappear.

But KMail 1.9.10 is very easy to configure to do what I want: it is
easy to use to reply inline or to quote only part, and it uses
maildir not mbox, an important difference to me.  Getting rid of
Windows viruses in emails without losing anything else is very
difficult with mbox and very easy with maildir.

But above all, for me, it is partially sighted-friendly!  It is very
easy to have the font I want at every stage.

But most of the differences - do you like how it replies?  Do you like
how it sets preferences? Do you like the options available?  Do you
like its filters and the method for setting them etc.? - are
subjective.

In the end, suck it and see.  No email client is perfect.  Most are
good.  How many people use it is not necessarily a good criterion.
Think of Outlook and Outlook Express!

Perhaps choose a DE or WM first and use that choice to inform your
choice of email client.  The "matching" one will use up fewer extra
resources.

Lisi