Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Sunday 01 December 2013 12:59:24 AP wrote:
> Oh well. I would Google and see why Debian want the other name for
> Thunderbird...whatever...Now, I have to think for only three
> candidates:

Roughly, Mozilla said that they had to have the last word on anything
going out under their copyright.  Debian said taht they had to have
the last word on any packages going into the official repositories.
These two were incompatible.

So they agreed to differ.  Debian agreed not to use the
copyrighted/trademarked names: Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey etc..
They were removed from all the software packages going into Debian.
(Well, in theory at least!  There were/are traces taht got missed.)
Debian uses the Open Source Mozilla applications, but calls them
Iceweasel, Icedove, IceApe etc.

Honour is saved for both protagonists.

Lisi